The current coronavirus pandemic has resulted in a number of temporary business closures in the country. While the government is taking extreme precautionary measures to contain and eliminate the threat of this pandemic, businesses owners are awaiting the moment these restrictions will be reduced so they can reopen their respective businesses and life will get back to normal.
But the “normal” atmosphere in which businesses operated before this pandemic will not be the same after all of this is over. Even after the restrictions are lifted and businesses are allowed to operate again there will certain precautionary measure that will become a part of the daily operations.
Some of the biggest challenges that businesses have faced due to these closures are:
- Decrease in operation
- Income Reduction
- Maintenance Costs during the closure
- Restarting Costs
- Maintain Good Hygiene Practice
If you are a business owner and you are looking for the safest and most effective method to reopen your business and operate it post the coronavirus pandemic, Rentokil has compiled a number of best practices that you should follow to ensure that your staff and visitors are completely safe.
1. Complete Business Premises Disinfection
Before you officially reopen your business, it is best to have complete disinfection of the entire premises to eliminate any stagnant viral pathogens that may have made their way. Even after your business is back in operation, it is still advisable to have regular disinfection of your entire premises.
This will minimise the chances of any future outbreaks and keep your business completely protected from viruses.
Common Areas That Need Disinfection
To be completely sure that your business is 100% free of viral pathogens it is good to disinfect some of the most commonly contaminated areas.
- Entire business premises
- Common touchpoints such as lifts buttons, desks, computer screens, door-knobs, etc
- Washroom deep cleaning
- Common touchpoints inside vehicles (applicable to businesses that operate using vehicular fleets.)
- External public places.
Specialist Disinfection Service
Rentokil Specialist Disinfection Services are experienced in dealing with the coronavirus pandemic by providing protective support to essential businesses in the country during the pandemic. Equipped with authorised PPE & RPE, our specialists are trained will disinfect your entire property and eliminate any viruses that may be present.
Our service is not limited to any industry or type of business. We are equipped to disinfect any type of business premises from external to internal disinfection as well as vehicle disinfection to your delivery fleets.
2. Employee & Visitor Hygiene
If this pandemic has taught us anything it’s the importance of following proper hand hygiene. Even when businesses reopen and things go back to “normal” it is still recommended to abide by proper hand hygiene practices for extra protection.
If your business was not equipped with proper hand hygiene equipment before this pandemic then it is very important that it invests in professional hygiene products that are designed to kill bacteria. When your staff and visitors return to work, they should have access to hand hygiene products at all times to minimise the risk of future transmissions.
Important Hygiene Services To Invest In
- Hand Hygiene: Proper handwashing equipment such as soaps and dispensers should be available in your premises
- Sanitisers: Alcohol-based non-touch sanitisers in common entry points will keep everyone in your business protected
- Air Fresheners: Bad smelly washrooms and businesses are known to have a negative impact on your reputation. Quality air fresheners should be installed around the premises.
- Waste Bins: Waste that is not properly disposed of can help spread diseases among your people. Professionally treated waste bins are important to hygienically dispose of any contained waste in your business.
- Sanitary Waste Collection: Feminine Hygiene in the workplace should never be overlooked and proper provisions should be available at all times for the hygienic disposal of sanitary waste. It is ideal to invest in quality no-touch sanitary bins for extra protection.
3. Post-Coronavirus Pest Control
The biggest threat that most of the temporary shut businesses will have to face is the possibility of a serious pest infestation while their business premises are left without any activity and unguarded from pests.
When the pandemic will be under control and restrictions are lifted in the country, we all would be entering the summer months. With summer comes to an overall increase in temperature which will also result in an increase in pest activity. The last thing your business needs after reopening is a warning from the health and safety authority due to an uncontrolled infestation in your business.
Having proper pest control also ensure that there are no hygiene compromises in your premises because pests are known to harbour and transmit diseases.
The type of pests businesses should look out for when reopening:
- Rodents: Rats and mice will be roaming and infesting vacant business properties in search of food and shelter. Wondering how to get rid of rodents from your premises or prepare for an infestation? You should also check if there are any rodent droppings on your premises as they may cause a business closure followed by Food and Safety Regulation. Rentokil PestConnect can help protect your premises 24/7 and stay ahead of pest problems.
- Ants: In the commercial environment ants are more than just a nuisance. They can cost you money and harm your reputation. Premises like pubs, restaurants, hospitals, offices, warehouses and other buildings that store food and water are at risk of an ant infestation.
- Wasps: Wasps are most active in the warm and summer months, creating wasp nests and stinging anyone that comes close to it.
- Flies: Flies can spread diseases like Salmonella and E-coli by contaminating your food. It is recommended to get rid of a fly problem as soon as they are identified. To avoid any fly problems that can damage your business reputation, you should install electric fly killers which will attract, catch and kill flies quickly, discreetly and effectively.
It is obvious that when your business reopens it will have to follow new rules and hygiene protocols, It is better to prepare and plan ahead to minimise the loss of business and lives. Rentokil Initial is here 24/7 to help you take the first steps back into the normal world.
If you are looking to get back into business post coronavirus, Get in touch with our local experts to see how we can help you stay protected.