What are Fruit Flies?
Fruit flies also known as Drosophila melanogaster is a species of flies commonly found infesting fruit or hovering around fermenting residues found in pubs, fruit orchards & vegetables plots and breweries. These insects are known to lay up to 500 eggs at a time that is why it is so easy for them to infest these premises.
How To Identify Fruit Flies?
The following are the top characteristics to look out for when it comes to identifying fruit flies.
- 3mm in length.
- Yellow-brown or mottled in colour.
- Bright red eyes.
- Abdomen hangs down in flight, which is slow.
- Tend to hover.
Facts About Fruit Flies
- They can breed in rotten fruit, unclean drains and even cleaning utensils.
- Develops to adult in 7–30 days.
- Adult lives 2–9 weeks.
- In ideal temperature conditions, fruit flies can complete their development in as little as 1 week.
How to Get Rid Of Fruit Flies In Your Home?
If you observe fruit flies in your home it is important that you take immediate action to stop them from multiplying and causing a full-blown infestation. Follow the following steps to get rid of flies now.
- Moisture Control: fix leaky taps and blocked drains where water can gather. Flies need moisture to multiply.
- Proper Food Storage: Food items are the most common instrument of attracting attract flies and encourage them to lay eggs nearby. Leftovers should be carefully covered up. Their contact with your food is also the main cause of food contamination.
- Hygiene: Always remember to keep your bins, sinks and food areas clean.
- Cover entry points: Install fly screens to windows, keep windows and doors shut at night and consider installing a fly killer unit.
- Bird feeders: keep bird feeders clean and remove bird food before dusk.
- Remove clutter: eliminate clutter inside the house and in the garden. Messy sites could be a potential breeding site.
Sometimes it is better to let a pest control expert help you solve the fly problem in your home so that the results are professional and do not lead to a second infestation.
Fruit Fly Control for Businesses
Fruit flies are often a cause of nuisance for business premises as they can quickly contaminate food sources in the cafeteria or damage the reputation of the business in the eyes of the visiting customers. Since businesses are larger than regular homes, it is important to have a professional fly control solution in place. The Lumia range of fly killers by Rentokil is perfect for businesses all sizes to install and protect their premises from a fruit fly infestation.
To know more about our range of services for Fruit Flies get in touch with our experts now or call 1890 666 444 for advice, free call out and free quote from your local expert