Throughout the years Rentokil Pest Control Ireland has dealt with numerous rat infestation cases across Ireland. Simply put we have seen it all when it comes to rats and their behaviour, allowing us the technical expertise to deal with these creatures like no one else. It’s understandable that discovering rats in your home or business can be very distressing. On top of the health risks, rats have also been known to cause fires by chewing through wiring. They can even gnaw through wood, plastics and mild steel.
If you are not sure how to deal with a rat problem, rejoice because Rentokil Pest Control Ireland has compiled years of experience to provide you with the most Frequently Asked Questions about rats. Hopefully, these answers will help you understand everything you need to know about rats and the proper procedures to deal with them.
Frequently Asked Rat Questions
How To Get Rid Of Rats?
The most common and obvious question that we get asked is “how to get rid of rats” at home. They are commonly found in your home, garden and attic. You have two options at your disposal, DIY or Professional.
DIY rat control is not recommended. It may appear the cheaper option but the chances of a sub-standard control are greatly higher, incorrect pest identification treatment and/or ultimately additional professional services will make the over cost higher.
The quickest and most effective way to get rid of rats from your home or business is professional rat control. They are able to:
- Identify the source & extent of the infestation
- Recommend and implement targeted treatment and proofing solutions
- Safely get rid of rats from your home or business
How Do You Know If You Have Rats?
When it comes to rats, it is often easier to spots signs of a rat problem, rather than an actual rat.
Keep an eye out for the following signs:
- Rat Droppings
- Scratching Noise
- Footprints (running tracks)
- Rub Marks
- Gnaw Marks
- Smell Of Urine
What Causes Rats To Come To Your House?
Rats enter your home in search of food and sustenance, your kitchen is one of their most favourite places in the house as it is loaded with food for their consumption. Bread, rice, pasta, cereal, vegetables, chocolate and biscuits. And cheese! And the easier it is for mice to nibble on your food, the more mice you’ll attract.
They need shelter and, as winter settles in for the long chill, they crave warmth. A hot corner behind a stove can become a cosy refuge for them.
How Do You Keep Rats Away?
Here are 7 ways to prevent rats from entering your home
- Doors – Fitting bristle (or brush) strips to the bottom of doors prevent entry, especially in older properties where the door fit may not be snug.
- Pipework – Seal holes around existing or new pipes with coarse grade stainless steel wire wool and caulking (pliable sealant).
- Holes – These are often made in exterior walls for cables and pipes, check that old pipework holes are sealed too.
- Air Bricks and Vents – Cover these with fine galvanised wire mesh, especially if they are damaged.
- Eaves – Fix damaged roofing and use wire mesh to seal gaps.
- Vegetation – Trim tree branches back from the house and where possible avoid plants growing up the sides of your property. Vines, shrubs or overhanging branches can be used for mice to get onto roofs. Overgrown vegetation close to the walls will offer mice shelter and potential nesting sites.
- Lawns – Keep grass mown short to reduce shelter and seeds for food. Ideally, leave a gap between the building foundations and the garden.
Can You Get Sick From Rats?
Rodent borne diseases come in all shapes and sizes from bacteria-based illnesses such as salmonella to viruses such as hantavirus. These diseases are quite nasty and an inconvenient thing to contract. They are commonly transmitted by rats, they can enter your home in search of food & shelter which will lead to an infestation.
Diseases Caused By Rat Droppings
- Weil’s disease
- Lymphocytic Chorio-meningitis
- Rat-bite fever
- Rat Tapeworm
How Can You Catch A Disease From Rats?
- Direct Contact: You can catch these diseases by coming into direct contact with their urine, this can be by touching it or touching something that has been contaminated.
- Contaminated Food: This is contracted via contaminated food and water. This happens when a rat or mouse urinates on a food source or water supply.
- Contaminated Air: You can also catch a rodent-borne disease from inhaling dust that has been contaminated by their urine.
- Open Wound: If you have an open wound or scratch, which isn’t properly dressed, then you could be at risk of catching an infection if your wound/scratch comes into contact with rodent urine.
What Happens If A Rat Bites You?
You can potentially get the following diseases if you get bitten by a rat
- Rat-bite fever
How Much Does Rentokil Cost?
The pest control costs will differ between homes and businesses as their needs are different. Residential pest control is often only required for a single service, i.e. for a rodent problem or treating a wasp nest.
The list of factors which contribute to the overall cost of treating a pest infestation are:
- Type Of Pest – The type of pest which is infesting your property contributes to the overall pricing of the removal service. The cost of eliminating cockroaches differs from the price of treating a rodent problem as different solutions are needed to resolve each issue.
- Size Of Infestation – The size and extent of a pest infestation in your home or business affect the costs of the pest removal service. For example, removing a large, established flea infestation will take longer and cost more than treating a small, contained flea problem that is treated quickly.
- Type Of Treatment – The type of treatment needed to eradicate a pest problem will relate to the overall costs of the pest control service. For example, using insecticide sprays to control bed bugs differs from using a chemical-free heat pod treatment to eliminate them and the price will reflect the methods and complexity of treatments used. Similarly, the pricing for preventive pest control varies from the cost of corrective, reactive treatments.
- Size Of Property – The size of the property plays a part in the cost of a pest control service. The larger the property the more time is required to successfully treat a pest problem. This will have an effect on the cost of the treatment needed to remove the pest.
- The Number Of Treatments – Certain types of pests may require multiple treatments for successful control. This can be reflected within the pricing of the pest control service. For example, the price of a wasp nest treatment is less than the cost of a mouse treatment, as getting rid of mice requires multiple visits by our qualified pest controllers to ensure the problem is completely resolved.
How Does Rentokil Pest Control Get Rid Of Rats?
Rentokil Pest Control has a 4 step process:
- Contact: Call us and we will arrange for your local team to contact you
- Survey: We will discuss your pest problem, arrange a survey if necessary, and provide a quote and recommendations
- Treatment: Our BPCA certified technicians will come out to your property to provide pest treatments
- Aftercare: We’ll make as many visits as required to ensure your problem is resolved
What Does A Free Survey Mean?
- Rentokil BPCA certified pest control surveyor will contact the customer to discuss the pest infestation.
- Rentokil surveyor will then arrange with the customer a suitable time for them to visit the premises to fully understand the extent of the pest infestation.
- Rentokil will inspect all relevant areas of the premises for signs to confirm the extent of pest activity.
- Rentokil surveyor will discuss their findings with the customer and recommend the most appropriate and effective treatment to resolve the pest problem.
- Rentokil will then provide the customer with an accurate quote for the recommended treatment.
- Rentokil surveyors will also offer preventative advice including proofing and hygiene.
Is Rentokil Good at Pest Control?
- Rentokil Is The World’s Largest Pest Control Company – At Rentokil, we are proud to be the world’s largest pest control company. With over 85 years of experience, we have developed into the most recognised brand in pest control in Ireland.
- In-Depth Experience And Expertise – Rentokil is BPCA certified & has been providing pest control services to thousands of customers for decades across a range of homes and business sectors globally. We know what it takes to protect your home or business effectively against a wide range of pests locally.
- Nationwide Coverage, Local Experts – We provide professional pest control services to homes and businesses in 26 counties across Ireland. Call us today on 1890 666 444 for advice and assistance from your local experts.
- 24/7 Pest Control Near You – Our service is available 7 days a week. If you have a pest problem or need pest control advice, contact us now to for a swift response from a local pest exterminator near you.
- Excellent Reviews – Rentokil has excellent customer reviews throughout its services on TrustPilot from our customers across Ireland.
Rentokil Pest Control Contact Number
Rentokil Pest Control offers a free quote from a local expert.
- RESIDENTIAL PEST CONTROL: 1890 666 444
- COMMERCIAL PEST CONTROL: 1890 555 222