With the world looking slightly more normal than it has over the last couple of years, the ability to travel has returned. The spike in travel in 2022 has sparked a similar spike in bed bug activity. We saw a 40% increase in callouts about bed bugs from January to May 2022 compared to last year. Dublin accounts for 28% of our callouts through the period; with Cork at 14%, Donegal at 9% and Galway at 5%.
While not fatal, bed bugs can be a massive inconvenience and cause severe skin irritation, itchiness, rashes and blistering. It is important to eradicate a bed bug infestation as soon as possible. Bed bugs can be found on bedding and furniture, and it is possible for them to travel on your clothes and they could even find their way into a suitcase to go home with you.
Each female bed bug can lay more than 200 eggs in their lifetime, meaning bed bug populations can grow rapidly if not properly dealt with. Bed bug infestations should be tackled as soon as possible.
How to Find Bed Bug Eggs
- Similar to other insect eggs; small and white
- Eggs are usually clustered together
- Bed bugs will not all hatch at the same time, so eggshells can be found near the unhatched eggs
- As bed bugs feed on human blood, you will likely find them near the bed: behind the headboard, in mattress seam etc.
How to Spot Bed Bug Bites
- Can be on any part of the body
- Unlike flea bites, bed bug bites do not have a red spot in the centre
- Small bloodstains on your bed sheets
- Small brown stains that could be bed bug excrement
- Black mould-like stain on the mattress
- After the bugs have been there for a while, they will give off a strong almond-like odour
DIY Bed Bugs
- Contain the infestation: remove any items that are infested and seal any cracks the bed bugs could hide in
- Reduce clutter to avoid giving them places to hide; isolate the infestation as best you can
- If infestation is still at a manageable state, try putting infested items in your clothes dryer on high heat
- Try steaming your mattress, couch and other furniture items where bed bugs inhabit
- Simply vacuuming around your home can be an effective way to combat your bed bug infestation
- Ensure all cracks in wallpaper and skirting boards etc. are sealed to prevent beg bugs living there
If you are unable to control the infestation yourself, please contact us for professional bed bug treatment on 0818 882 343 or find us online at www.rentokil.ie
“Figures based on callout reports generated by Rentokil for the month of Jan-May 2022
Leave a Reply