Summer is a busy time for the hospitality sector. More people choose to eat out or go for drinks in the long (and hopefully sunny) summer evenings. Hotels, pubs and restaurants are often packed. However, in these warm days, hospitality businesses often to have to tackle some uninvited guests. The combination of warm weather and food supplies makes these businesses very attractive to flies. When business is buzzing, you don’t want these pests to undermine your reputation! How to tackle flies in the hospitality sector!
Fruit flies thrive during summer months because of the abundance of fruits and vegetables. They are particularly drawn to food that is rotting or fermenting. As well as laying eggs on the food, the fruit flies can spread bacteria and disease.
Unlike fruit flies, house flies are attracted to waste, rather than food. They are often found around bins and disposal areas near restaurants and pubs. This is why proper waste disposal is such a crucial issue in the hospitality sector.
So how can you prevent these pests? This involves management and prevention of the problem.
If you have a problem with flies in your business, your immediate priority is to eliminate the pests.
- In summer months, customers expect to enjoy their food and drink in well-ventilated areas. For this reason, many businesses keep their doors and windows open so cool air can circulate. However, this also provides easy access for flies. By using fly screen doors and windows, you can prevent the flies from gaining access, while at the same time allowing cool air to flow.
- You may also need to consider installing electric fly killers or fly box to eradicate any flies that do invade the premises. These can range from the simple to the sophisticated, including fly paper, and electronic killing devices.
- In cases of serious infestation, you will need to contact a professional pest service. These experts will help you eliminate the problem, and advise you on how to prevent reoccurrences.
Even if you don’t have a fly problem at the moment, you cannot afford to be complacent! If you can prevent fly problem in the first place, you can protect both your customers and your business.
- Remember, flies are attracted to food and waste. So make sure you keep premises clean at all times. Apply hygienic standards in all areas of the business. Store all food safely. Dispose of all waste in a clean and effective manner. Clear away any spills or damaged food immediately. Remove contaminated food. And keep all surfaces in a pristine condition.
- Every business relies on teamwork, so you need to train staff about the importance of good hygiene and safe food practices. Do they know how to properly story food and liquids? Do they know how to manage waste? Do they know what to do when there’s an accident? Empowering your staff with the knowledge they need to prevent the problem will benefit your business in the long run.
- Flies can be an ongoing problem so you need processes in place so that you can review and maintain standards. Checklists and refresher training are essential tools in this effort. If you notice that standards are beginning to slide, address the source of the problem and take necessary action.
By applying these six key steps, you can help ensure that you and your customers enjoy a fly-free summer. And remember, if you have any concerns about fly infestation, you can contact us at 1890 555 222 for immediate assistance.